Putting a roof over your head represents a significant investment and today’s roofing options give you a variety of choices. When contemplating a roof replacement in Madison WI, design, style and price all figure into your plan.
The roof is vital to any building’s structural integrity. It keeps the elements and foreign objects out. It directs water away from the foundation and protects against ultraviolet (UV) damage. Fire-resistant materials can reduce the threat of fire and reduce insurance premium. To get the most from your roofing options consider features and benefits that complement your needs and the design of your home. Consult a professional roofing contractor – the wrong decision can lead to structural weakness and even future damage from things like ice dams.
Consider All the Available Roofing Options
When you plan a new roof installation there are styles from traditional to contemporary. You can have anything from a cottage to a Spanish look. Consider these options:
- Asphalt Shingles — These are considered the standard in most area. The Asphalt Roofing Manufacturer’s Association estimates that more than 80% of North American homes have asphalt shingles. What makes them so popular?
- Available in a variety of color choices
- Available in many shapes and sizes
- Most are very fire-resistant
- Absorb more and less sunlight as required
- Very water-resistant
- Very durable
- Quick and relatively easy to install
- Least expensive
The ability to install asphalt shingles quickly is particularly important to most homeowners since nobody wants to go without roof protection for long.
- Wood Shakes and Shingles — A style that looks rustic, classic and unique. Fairly difficult and time consuming to install. Also subject to occasional wind and weather damage. On the higher end of the pricing scale. Can last longer than some other options.
- Slate Tiles — Offer unique look for special curb appeal. Fire-resistant, very durable and eventually recyclable. On the high end of the pricing scale. In most cases the supporting roof structure requires reinforcement. Slate can absorb water and crack during freezing weather. Extremely long-lasting.
- Synthetic Materials — A variety of styles to copy the look of slate, wood, clay and other materials. Not available in all areas – a professional roofing contractor can offer guidance in the choosing the best of these roofing options.
- Clay and Concrete Tile — The material that gives you the “Spanish Mission” look. Ideal for hot weather because air can circulate beneath. Not ideal for colder climates like Madison Wi because the tiles are already heavy and added snow can stress the roof. Structural support is required. On the high end of the pricing scale and require specialized installation.
- Metal Roofing — Metal roofing has become a common topic when roof replacement is discussed. Metal roofing designs require no roof modifications because they’re relatively lightweight. Metal reflects sunlight in warm weather and absorbs heat in winter to help melt snow. A metal roof should last a long time, but the product is on the high end of the pricing scale.
To review the roofing options that blend style with energy efficiency and utility as you plan your Madison WI roof replacement, contact Sims Exteriors and Remodeling – 608-825-4500.